[clug] RTL8139 problems

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Wed Jul 7 07:42:38 GMT 2004

> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:35:38PM -0700, Dennis M Gray wrote:
>> Here is the output from modprobe 8139too:
>>
>> root at loge net]# modprobe 8139too
>>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o:
>> init_module: No such device

The only time I have had this problem is if the card was actually an
SiS900 and not a realtek as it said it was.  I have found this on some
motherboards that say they have a realtek but it is a 8138 or something
slightly different.

> <snip>
>
> This usually means you're using the wrong driver.
>
> What does lspci say?

lspci reported back that it was a realtek card for me.  A google search
for the card found the problem.

This doesn't mean that you have the same problem.  It just sounds similiar