[clug] debian hardware reccommendations

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Tue Jul 6 06:14:39 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 07:09:46PM +1000, Rob Shugg wrote:
> Hey
> we need to set up a development box (with debian) to run a bunch of vmware
> vm's and we are thinking dual cpu.
> Questions:
> Is it worth going for Opteron even though we dont need 64bit?
> if not, whats a good P4 dual cpu motherboard to run debian?

Hi Rob,

Debian's support for the AMD64 architecture is 99.9% ready, just not
official yet. I'd hope that this gets sorted out before Sarge releases, and
so won't be an issue.

That said, I don't know if VMware are going to provide AMD64 binaries, so it
might all be a moot point.

What exactly are you testing the VMs? If you want to run Linux in them, or
even Windows, qemu (Debian package) might be a suitable emulator. As it's a
Debian package, you'll get an AMD64 optimised binary.

regards

Andrew