[clug] Converting mailboxes to IMAP

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Tue Jul 6 06:10:16 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:31:36AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> Burn Alting wrote:
>
> >One of the differences is that, rather than the simple pop3 mail system
> >I served my family's Windoze boxes with, Fedora only provides pop3 via
> >the Cyrus IMAP mail system.
>
> mboxes (to which you refer) are the r0x0r. I'm now using dovecot with
> mboxes as my imap server, and it's really nice. You might want to check
> the dovecot website / fedora for a package.

Are you saying mbox is better than Maildir? I just reinstalled my
webserver/mailserver/jack of all trades server last week, and converted from
mbox to Maildir, and now I can open my mailboxes quite speedily with Mutt or
Squirrelmail. I'm quite happy with the results.

> Not that I'm aware of... Basically you want to convert mbox to maildir.
> There are perl scripts, but they're scary. You're probably best of doing
> something like running dovecot on a laptop which you mboxes, and then
> using offlineimap (which is quite nice too) to copy the mail to your
> courier server.

I used mb2md (apt-gettable) and found it quite unscarey.

regards

Andrew