[clug] PDAs and calenders

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Jul 4 20:12:12 GMT 2004

On 29 Jun 2004, at 13:53, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:

> Does anyone have firm opinions on Linux friendly calendering and PDAs?

I was using Korganizer [sic] for a while. So far I've not yet
encountered a synchronising system that works as well as Palm's
HotSync. I keep getting duplicates or deletes when I use gnome-pilot or
kpilot with various calendars under KDE or Gnome. Mind you, iSync on
Mac OS X isn't much better in this respect.

> We have an Outlook/Exchange system at work, and the idea of a PDA is
> appealing, but I'd like to aggregate work calenders with private ones.

That doesn't seem to me to be a good idea at all. Most synchronisation
tools and calendaring software I've played with doesn't honour the
"private" flag in my Palm DateBook. If I synchronise with the calendar
at work, my workmates can suddenly see, "Hot date with Kath". Even
worse, Kath can see "Hot date with Margaret" the next night. Oh well,
keeps me honest, I guess.

> Then there's the current crop of singing-and-dancing mobile phones

I'm starting to become a big fan of single-purpose devices. But that's
just me, and that discussion is best left to the rabid few over a slice
of pizza or two at the next CLUG.

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from"
     -- Andrew Tanenbaum