[clug] Interesting MyDoom bounce

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri Jan 30 06:40:30 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:17:26PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2004, David Price <david.price at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Fair enough... if the receiving end knows that it's a virus, it should
> > just drop it
>
> That's right.  And in 2004, any mail with an exe attachment is certain
> to be a virus.  My grandmother knows that.  So just drop the damn thing.

Valid option, but I think it depends on context. If it's a mail server
running email for my family and friends, sure, drop them. If it's for
customers I can't really drop email on their behalf unless they give me
permission to do so. If I *know* it's a virus, sure, otherwise I can't just
throw it away.

The real solution is to just install a real virus scanner and keep it up to
date. That should keep the problems to a minimum.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/