[clug] Interesting MyDoom bounce

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jan 30 05:17:26 GMT 2004

On 30 Jan 2004, David Price <david.price at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:29:08PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> > > Yes, but it is not up to the receiving end to decide whether a message is
> > > to be discarded.
> >
> > Yes it is.  There are no circumstances when the error will do anything
> > useful, and it is likely to generate more noise.  It is a net loss.
> > Viruses should be silently dropped.
>
> Fair enough... if the receiving end knows that it's a virus, it should
> just drop it

That's right.  And in 2004, any mail with an exe attachment is certain
to be a virus.  My grandmother knows that.  So just drop the damn thing.

> Much as I hate receiving email with MS format attachments, I'd
> really rather not have them silently dropped.

Tagging rather than filtering is a completely valid policy choice, if
that's what you/your users prefer.  So install something like
MIMEDefang to pull off the attachment but pass the rest.  Don't bother
the person whose address was forged.

--
Martin