[clug] USB flash disks

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Jan 28 13:35:48 GMT 2004

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> Hope this gets read, rather than get lost with the recent spam flood.
>
> I am testing an external 512MB USB 2.0 flash disk. Measuring xfer time
> I get about 10-11MB/s writig to it (less than USB1.0 for sure) while
> it reads at just under 40MB/s.

I already corrected myself, it does only 1.0-1.1MB/s.

I now inserted a 512MB CF into the 6-in-1 drive and wrote to it.
It absorbed the data at 22-24MB/s. Now this is nice. But it
reads at only 30MB.

Thing is, the write speed is more important to me, as I write
in the camera in the field, then read it at leisure at home.

Nevertheless, I wonder why the USB flash stick is so much slower.

And I should say (putting on fire retardant pants now) that I
simply do a copy on a W/XP machine. Sorry, but I do not have USB
2.0 on my Linux box yet (but will have it soon as I am looking
at an upgrade).

So it will be very hard to fault the Linux USB system with the
results here (you can relax Brad)...

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>