[clug] USB flash disks

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Jan 28 09:48:35 GMT 2004

Hope this gets read, rather than get lost with the recent spam flood.

I am testing an external 512MB USB 2.0 flash disk. Measuring xfer time
I get about 10-11MB/s writig to it (less than USB1.0 for sure) while
it reads at just under 40MB/s.

The reading seems to be reasonalbe given the protocol overhead
(well, raw 480Mb/2 is 60MB/s). However the write is very slow.

Is this expected of flash? I did expect write to be slower, but
thought it could do better. Of course, this may just be a crappy
stick that I got and others can do better.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>