[clug] Multi-homing

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Jan 28 00:57:16 GMT 2004

At 11:48 AM +1100 04/1/28, Dennis M. Gray wrote:
>I have been running a Red Hat 7.1 distro with a permanent dial-up
>to my ISP. I intend to stop using that and have added an ADSL
>service on another phone line. I am using the eth0 NIC for the ADSL.
>
>For a short period I want to enable both interfaces. When I bring
>up the eth0 at the same time that the ppp0 is up, I can no longer
>communicate via ppp0. The two interfaces are on two completely
>different networks.
>
>Is there any good source of information on this configuration?

It sounds like a routing problem.  Bring both up and show us the output of
"netstat -nr"

The "default" router is the one where packets are sent to when you don't know where an IP address is.  You can only have one of them.  That is where all your internet requests go.

What exactly do you want to do?  You can route packets to certain sites through one particular interface but all the others will go to your default interface.

Kim
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)