[clug] eVACS lives!

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jan 26 23:44:18 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:56:28AM +1100, Steve Jenkin wrote:
> Saw this on the ACM Technews list and thought that some of the
> contributors may still read the CLUG list.
> Love the way that 'Software Improvements' are
>
> http://www.acm.org/technews/articles/2004-6/0121w.html#item1 [copied at
> end]
>
> This summary points to the base article.  I'm sure there's many more.
> http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,61968,00.html
>
> Canberra consistently 'punches above it weight' in IT, especially in
> Open Source.
>
> Something I wasn't aware of [is this claim true?] - that the AEC was
> offered but did not want a 'VVPAT' - Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail.
> [A printer in _every_ polling booth - many $$$$]

Not just many $$$.  Printers just aren't reliable - they jam, mess up
prints, etc. etc.  When you're trying to guarantee various properties
about the number and nature of receipts printed, this makes life very
difficult indeed.  This, I think, is one of the primary reasons the
AEC didn't like the idea of a attempting to implement a vvpat.

david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| solution which is simple, neat and
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson