[clug] Cheap TiVos?

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 23 05:19:37 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 10:50, Peter Barker wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Darren Freeman wrote:
>
> > I just got three takers in the space of half an hour!
>
> OTOH,
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072804133&category=298

Yup, something like that. I suppose the price will climb up quickly at
the close of the auction.

> If people are getting these things in from the states - is someone willing
> to hold a "soldering-iron-and-desoldering-braid" session at which people
> can be led through destroying their TiVo with clumsy hardware work?

I would be willing to lead people through it, being an electronics
engineer. I wouldn't take responsibility, but if we had a bunch of
identical tuners I would try it out ahead of time and vouch for it
working.

> Oh, not to mention "destroy your TiVo's software setup by installing
> Linux" :)

It comes with Linux. Or it does if you get it with a hard disc, which
the ones up for consideration don't.

Ours will need Tridge's CD which installs the OS for you. I don't know
if he's the only author but he's the one who told me about it.

> I'll put my hand up for one.

Cool! We could just about fork a separate club out of this. The Canberra
TiVo club, a subsidiary of CLUG.

Have fun,
Darren