[clug] Hylafax

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Fri Jan 23 05:17:23 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:04:57PM +1100, Stephen Walsh wrote:
> Hi Guys;
>
> I've been tossing up an opensource fax software for the home office, and
> most people seem to point at Hylafax. I had a quick look through the hylafax
> webpages and howto's and it seems relatively easy, but I was wondering if
> anyone else here has set it up for multiple users and email capability (both
> email -> Fax and Fax -> email).

I've got a fair few years experience with mgetty and sendfax, and I'm quite
happy with how it all hangs together. I've got it setup to email me faxes
that come in (and it can email a variety of formats because you just tweak
the script that handles inbound faxes to suit your needs) and I can fax from
my Windows desktop or from Linux. Generally I'm wanting to fax from Windows
and I've got that all integrated nicely with Samba, so I just print to a
printer.

I'm a Debian zealot^Wuser, and think it's pretty easy to set up mgetty and
sendfax under Debian.

I'm happy to share my specific configuration with you.

Andrew