[clug] Education options

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Jan 21 19:46:46 GMT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2004, at 09:56, Mark Harrison wrote:
>
> > The course options so far seem to be:
> > a) Spherion (Advanced diploma of business systems)
>
> IMHO, not worth the $15,000 *or* the piece of paper it's printed on.
>
> > b) TAFE (Diploma in IT - software development)
>
> Best bet right there.
>
> > c) UC (Graduate Diploma in IT - software engineering)
>
> Didn't you say you wanted to *avoid* Windows?

They have one Linux lab.

> > So, are there other options that I have missed?

Software Engineering at ANU springs to mind[1]. They have lots of open
source stuff happening[2], smart people, and an seeming obsession with
Java[3].

Cheers,
Mikal

1: They're much more professional than UC. I've tutored at both, and
studied at UC. ANU has weekly tutor meetings where the tutors are briefed
so they know whats happening, regular tutor training, and much better
course documentation.

2: At least one samba core developer is stuying there, the technical
support people know their stuff, and there is some interesting research
happening as well.

3: Nothing wrong with Java that is, I just think it isn't a good first
language.

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"