[clug] Help - Asus i440BX BIOS?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Jan 21 09:05:52 GMT 2004

On 20 Jan 2004, at 22:28, Peter Barker wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 grail at goldweb.com.au wrote:
>> The BIOS only identifies itself as 07/16/99 i440BX-P2B-DS
>
> I have one of these beasties.

I found an updated BIOS that I can download without paying someone to
burn it onto a ROM for me!

> Have you reduced the number of cylinders?

Yeah, but then the BIOS halts when doing *something* with the drive. If
I specify a smaller geometry, the BIOS now halts halfway through the
system summary screen - IIRC, between writing UDMA2 and printing out
the size of the drive. Have to power-cycle to reboot.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a dodgey drive.

But at least the BIOS update has increased throughput from 2MB/s to
4MB/s :)

Alex

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from"
     -- Andrew Tanenbaum