[clug] One of M$'s better diagnostics

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 20 01:14:23 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:25, Burn Alting wrote:
> A friend of mine wrote:
>
> > I can't believe that a developer would actually write this error
> > message.

It's most probably not the developer's fault who wrote the dialogue box,
since the error message is generic and not related to the action you
were performing. Whenever it gets that error code, it gives that
"helpful" hint.

The really retarded person is the one who made it necessary to have
enough free disc space in order to delete something. No GUI designer
could have anticipated that stupidity. Maybe they were allocating a
fresh data structure and copying the old one across minus the deleted
entry? (without using a buffer in RAM) If it were NTFS I wouldn't be
surprised since the linux kernel team decided to rewrite their NTFS code
again from scratch and still aren't sure how to write to it.

Still M$ has no excuse since they designed it wrong to start with, and
they have all the documentation in existence to help them.

Have fun,
Darren