[clug] SVG to EPS converter

Doug Palmer Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Mon Jan 19 23:15:47 GMT 2004

I've been thinking about transferring my allegiance from the venerable
xfig to something a little more modern. I'm rather attracted to sodipodi
but it stores drawings in native SVG (good) and only exports to PNG
(bad). Since I use LaTeX a lot, I'm interested in converting to EPS. I'm
generally wary of the 'Print to a Postscript file' approach, since it
usually involves removing artefacts to do with notions of pages,
backgrounds and such-like.

I would have thought that there would be trillions of SVG->EPS command
line tools. However, all I can find is Postscript to SVG converters.

Does anybody know of (a) any conversion tools or (b) reasons why
SVG->EPS is impossible? (I know that WMF to EPS conversion is a royal
pain -- see wmf2eps -- so I'm prepared to believe that there is some
deep technical problem.)