[clug] TransAct ISP

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Mon Jan 19 13:30:54 GMT 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 23:48, Brett Worth wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > Running a mail server on a dynamic IP (using zoneedit) will cause
> > bounces.   I know since I've done it.  ;-)
>
> I use a dynamic IP to a mail server and have not seen any problems.
> I'm with transact/actewagl and have only had 3 IP addresses in the
> last 5 weeks so the chances of me getting hit during a change are slim.
> I guess the probability is greater than zero though.
>
> It would need for someone to get allocated my old IP address during the
> intervening 2-6 minutes for an actual bounce to occur.

I admit the chances are not very high.  Being on about 30 mailling lists, of
which a few are reasonably high traffic (100+ message per day depending on
what is going on) probably had an impact.  We are probably talking about less
than 1 in 1000 emails getting bounced, although I would say it was definitely
more than 1 in 10,000.  [It has been a while, so I can't quite recall.]  On
this note, I don't think it ever happened with a personal mail.

So in all fairness, if you are only getting private mail of reasonalbly low
volume, a dynamic IP for your own mail server is probably just fine.  But,
for example, I would not suggest hosting a public mailling list on a dynamic
IP.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--