CBP: Spam and Virus Handling (was Re: [clug] [AUSCERT ALERT - Email worm W32.Beagle.A/Win32.Bagle.A])

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jan 19 12:26:00 GMT 2004

On 19 Jan 2004, at 21:32, Michael Carden wrote:

> What is the current Best Practice method of dealing with the broad
> issue of
> SPAM?

I've tried using SpamAssassin for spam* filtering at home, but it
appears that the Debian maintainer is still packaging really old
useless rules. The SpamAssassin distribution comes with rules that look
much better.

The ruleset deployed by Goldweb is particularly effective in labelling
spam, especially when compared to the Debian package.

> So what works well for you? I'm not asking 'What great new technique
> did you
> read about in an obscure journal from the University of Discordia,'
> but what
> do you use that takes the sting out of spam?

One great technique I read about was only accepting email from
addresses on your whitelist - a variant of the "block everything except
the stuff you want or need" rule. People can add themselves to the
whitelist by subscribing to it through a web page and sending you an
email within a certain timeout period (or sending an email containing a
specific time-sensitive key, or whatever).

Another scheme I've heard of is to reject mail that isn't
cryptographically signed - the theory being that it's too expensive for
spammers to sign each email individually.

Both of these schemes might work for an individual, but I can't imagine
an ISP being too popular if they set up systems such as that ;)

Regards
Alex Satrapa

*NB: SPAM is a trademark of Hormel foods. spam is an alias for UCE and
UBE

"Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight" -- Old Proverb