[clug] TransAct ISP

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Mon Jan 19 12:02:28 GMT 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 22:27, Mark Purcell wrote:
> If you are just after a Webserver then you don't actually need a fixed IP.
>
> I run both my web server and mail server on a ADSL service with a dynamic
> IP.

Running a mail server on a dynamic IP (using zoneedit) will cause bounces.   I
know since I've done it.  ;-)

Not lots of bounces, but mail sent around the time of the IP reset will
frequently bounce.  When I was running my own mail server and had a dynamic
IP, every now and then (perhaps only once a week) I would get messages from
several mailling lists saying that list messages to me had been bouncing.  I
got a static IP, and the problem went away.

OTOH, for a webserver only, a dynamic IP is just fine.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox