[clug] TransAct ISP

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Mon Jan 19 11:25:55 GMT 2004

"John Fletcher" <jrsf at optusnet.com.au> writes:

> - I want to run my own server/domain but traffic to it is expected to be
> very low... it's more for personal entertainment (ie. fixed IP)
[...]
> Any suggestions?  Everyone seems to like to consider you a business and
> charge you lots of money for fixed IP ADSL plans...

Have you considered zoneedit.com? They will host your DNS records for
free, and they support dynamic IP update scripts like ddclient, so
your domain name can be updated on the fly. You can run your own mail
server or have them forward mail to an ISP account for you.

ADSL providers like Netspace and Internode are practically static,
but you can't depend on it. I have favourable things to say about
both of them - recently moved to Internode because of their 3 month
contract, which allows me to use ADSL until I have to move. Netspace
wanted to tack on an extra 6 months to my contract if I was to move
the ADSL connection to our new house.

Internode's 3 month contract was the lowest term I could find of the
ADSL providers, and the rest of their services seem quite competitive.

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes