[clug] TransAct ISP

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 19 04:23:37 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:07:49PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2004, Paul Hampson <Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:51:41PM +1100, Michael Carden wrote:
> > > Now all I need is an ISP. One with a Debian mirror would be
> > > excellent. One at least slightly Linux-friendly would be good. One
> > > that won't send me broke paying for throughput will suffice
> > > though.

> > > Does the CLUG hive-mind have any suggestions?

> > (Disclaimer: I'm the CTO of Bandwidth Unlimited, so I obviously
> > think we're great. :-)

> > Bandwidth Unlmited is very linux friendly, and we have lots of
> > unlimited-traffic plans at various speeds.

> > No Debian mirror (yet). I started constructing one, but I turned
> > out to have underestimated the space required, and so far I've not
> > had any customer interest.

> > On the other hand, the nearby Debian mirrors are quite fast to my
> > experience, since I run Debian on the servers, and any other machine
> > I can get my hands on. :-)

> I think the reason why people are interested is not speed so much as
> avoiding bandwidth charges for the downloads.  Following debian
> unstable closely could easily generate hundreds of megabytes of
> traffic per month.

Our main plans are all unlimited traffic, so _that's_ not
a big issue for me. On the other hand, bandwidth usage is, which
is why I started building the mirror in the first place.

> I will probably switch to someone with an uncharged debian mirror
> sooner or later.

> Running something like apt-cacher on your server would be as good or
> better than making a full mirror, but all those scripts seem a bit
> flaky at the moment.

That's not a bad idea... I've used apt-proxy, but not any of the
other similar tools... Never occurred to me to use it for _other_
people. :-)

Given that I run PPC machines here, it makes more sense using an
on-demand tool like that than building a mirror with two archs.

Right, off to do some research! BU will have uncharged Debian
mirror access for all plans by the end of the month. Heck,
I can even include appropriate backports archives/unofficial
archives...

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.