[clug] TransAct ISP

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jan 19 01:07:49 GMT 2004

On 17 Jan 2004, Paul Hampson <Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:51:41PM +1100, Michael Carden wrote:
> > Now all I need is an ISP. One with a Debian mirror would be excellent. One at
> > least slightly Linux-friendly would be good. One that won't send me broke
> > paying for throughput will suffice though.
>
> > Does the CLUG hive-mind have any suggestions?
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm the CTO of Bandwidth Unlimited, so I obviously
> think we're great. :-)
>
> Bandwidth Unlmited is very linux friendly, and we have lots of
> unlimited-traffic plans at various speeds.
>
> No Debian mirror (yet). I started constructing one, but I turned
> out to have underestimated the space required, and so far I've not
> had any customer interest.
>
> On the other hand, the nearby Debian mirrors are quite fast to my
> experience, since I run Debian on the servers, and any other machine
> I can get my hands on. :-)

I think the reason why people are interested is not speed so much as
avoiding bandwidth charges for the downloads.  Following debian
unstable closely could easily generate hundreds of megabytes of
traffic per month.

I will probably switch to someone with an uncharged debian mirror
sooner or later.

Running something like apt-cacher on your server would be as good or
better than making a full mirror, but all those scripts seem a bit
flaky at the moment.

--
Martin