[clug] TransAct ISP

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 02:19:04 GMT 2004

> Now all I need is an ISP. One with a Debian mirror would be excellent.
> One at  least slightly Linux-friendly would be good. One that won't
> send me broke  paying for throughput will suffice though.

Have you considered ActewAGL?  I'm in the same position as you, and think
I'll go with them.
Pros:
- shaped to (seemingly generous) 72kbps after your usage exceeds
- don't have to disconnect and reconnect between peak and off-peak like I
believe you (used to) have to with some others- can bundle gas, electricity, transact and isp services and get 5% off
all of them (offer expires 31/1/04)
Cons:
- probably no debian mirror
- not allowed to run services
- dynamic IP
- off-peak has caps on the amount of P2P usage (6Gb/month I think)
- who wants to be anything@"actee-waggle dot com dot au" (though they do
have homemail.com.au apparently)
I was thinking of the 750Mb plan, for $25/mo.  Seems slightly better than
netspeed, because of of shaping, not charging for excess usage, and better
than velocity because offpeak is unlimited, shaped speed is more and
allowance is more.  Happy to be set straight by those that know better.
Tony Lewis