[clug] Nightmare that is NForce2 on Linux

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 17 10:44:41 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 21:37, David Tulloh wrote:
> The problem is with the IO with linux, it was introduced in 2.5 and I
> believe 2.4.22.  I had it for a while, I was hoping that they would fix it
> in 2.6.  LKML was aware of the problem, I'm not sure if they have fixed it
> though.

That would explain why I thought there was a new hardware problem, since
it was also overheating some times.

> To stop the problem you need to disable local APIC.  This needs to be done
> in the boot kernel options.
> for asus, people reported that: "noapic nolapic acpi=off" was required
> personally I found just nolapic did the trick, but I don't have an asus

thanks dude, that seems to have fixed it!

> There was also dicussions on the greater internet about a patch that fixed
> it for 2.4.22, and people reporting that bios updates fixed it.  I haven't
> tried either so don't know if it does/doesn't work.

dunno but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a BIOS problem.

I'll eventually stick 2.6.1 on here but as I'm using it as a server I'd
rather stick to Mandrake pre-compiled kernels.

> David

Thanks again!

Have fun,
Darren