[clug] TransAct ISP (+ overseas dialup question)

James Macnicol jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au
Sat Jan 17 05:10:41 GMT 2004

> + 6c per Mb up to capped price. Shaped to 64/64Kbps once cap
> is reached.

	This is interesting, I've never heard of an ISP that does this
before (maybe I've been living under a rock or something....).  If I
understand this right you get service that is similar to unlimited 56k
(better really, no dialup call costs and it's a little faster) once your
cap is reached and it costs nothing extra.  Have I misunderstood
something here, and if not, is this something that's offered by many
ISPs?

	Another ISP-related question I've been wondering about that I'll
ask here rather than post again: what's the best deal available for
getting dialup access when you're overseas?  I signed up with Net2Roam
for my trip last year, it worked okay (there were some places I stayed
in Spain where the service didn't work, I think the problem was the
phones/switchboards in those hotels were pulse dial rather than tone)
but it's horribly expensive.  I'm currently with OzEmail who have a
roaming service but it doesn't seem to good in terms of coverage (e.g.
if you go to Spain it only works in Madrid....).  I'm wondering if
perhaps using a mobile phone with GPRS might be cheaper ?  Anyone know
of something better?

Thanks.

James