[clug] Why did Linus get dunked?

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 17 04:39:54 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Linus Torvalds has now done the unthinkable today, half an hour ago, at
linux.conf.au. Being dunked into a pool of water in his Speedos (TM).

My friend, Joseph Tan (a Linux SA regular), has put up his photos of the
event. They are more raunchy than Tridge's version so I'll give this
link first ;) It'll be our little secret.

http://www.counteralias.net/lca2004/linus_dunk/

Joseph told me last night, from the LCA dinner, about the incredible
atmosphere Rusty created for the charity auction. He apparently got a
signed T-shirt from its final bid of $700 to around $3000 in 1/2 hour of
crowd teasing. The recipients were Computerbank SA, a charity bridging
the digital divide. They will buy a van to move the donated pile of
computers out to a facility further from the city for storage.

The second item for auction was getting to be the one to dunk Linus
Torvalds in a tank of water, for the Cystic Fibrosis Association. It got
up to about $600 when again Rusty got the price up to $1500 over a
period of time. Then somebody called out for Linus to be in his Speedos
(TM), which he agreed to do for $2500. I have heard mention of Rusty in
a G-string but it hasn't happened yet so I gather he never agreed to it.
Anyway somebody got up and put $50 towards this cause and asked
everybody else to do so, and apparently half the people at the dinner
put $50 in. After counting it got just over $2500 and hence the photos
of a semi-naked, fully-wet Linus.

In the race to get the footage online, it seems Tridge probably won
since he was streaming the event live from:

http://dunking.samba.org

We're gonna have an awful lot to laugh about at the BBQ, and an awful
lot to look forward to this time next year!

Have fun,
Darren