[clug] Nightmare that is NForce2 on Linux

David Tulloh u3303664 at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 15 10:37:26 GMT 2004

The problem is with the IO with linux, it was introduced in 2.5 and I
believe 2.4.22.  I had it for a while, I was hoping that they would fix it
in 2.6.  LKML was aware of the problem, I'm not sure if they have fixed it
though.

To stop the problem you need to disable local APIC.  This needs to be done
in the boot kernel options.
for asus, people reported that: "noapic nolapic acpi=off" was required
personally I found just nolapic did the trick, but I don't have an asus

There was also dicussions on the greater internet about a patch that fixed
it for 2.4.22, and people reporting that bios updates fixed it.  I haven't
tried either so don't know if it does/doesn't work.

David