[clug] Mini-itx vs Linux on XBox

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Sun Jan 11 21:21:15 GMT 2004

can't speak for earlier models,

ours are the SB61G2

users at first complained they couldn't tell if they were turned on.

(fortunately they have bright blinkenlights)

James Macnicol wrote:
>>the liquid cooling that comes with these boxes means it uses
>>a single wide, slow, fan at the back of the box instead of
>>lots of little screamers, they run very quiet in a tiny footprint.
>

> 	I don't think the heatpipe in the Shuttle boxes is really liquid
> cooling.  Certainly you don't have to fill it with fluid like a regular
> liquid cooling setup.
>

>>anyway you asked, we like em.
>>
>>with MS XP licence (*sigh*) and a Gb of RAM we're paying
>>around $1,600.
>>
>>worth it for us for the footprint and the quiet cooling.
>

> 	Which model are you using?  I had an SS51G (Pentium 4, i845
> chipset) until I got rid of it recently.  Sure the heatpipe is quiet but
> the 12cm fan that came with it was way noisy (but easy to replace).  The
> killer was the power supplies which were like vacuum cleaners.  My
> Shuttle was by far the noisiest machine I've ever had.  Maybe the newer
> ones are better....
>
> 	Hopefully in the next six months or so the new BTX form factor
> will become widely available, these are designed with much better case
> ventilation so that all but high end CPUs and video cards will be
> passively cooled.
>

> James

- --

__________________________________

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths		Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd	Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 		Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House	e-mail: john at capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600	http://www.capmon.com
Australia		ICQ No: 7933859