[clug] Mini-itx vs Linux on XBox

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Sun Jan 11 05:27:07 GMT 2004

RE ITX: our office has been buying shuttle XPC boxen from Cougar and
have been VERY happy with them

hard to compare prices as the spec is vastly more powerful than an X-box.

the liquid cooling that comes with these boxes means it uses a single
wide, slow, fan at the back of the box instead of lots of little
screamers, they run very quiet in a tiny footprint.

anyway you asked, we like em.

with MS XP licence (*sigh*) and a Gb of RAM we're paying around $1,600.

worth it for us for the footprint and the quiet cooling.

cheers.

Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2004 14:01, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
>
>>I would like a quiet low spec server for home, and am tossing up between a
>>mini-itx system and getting an Xbox and running Linux on it.
>>
>>The Xbox costs around $299 + extra bits to get everything to work.
>

> Actually, at the moment Xboxes are going for $228 at Dick Smiths in
Woden, and
> I believe $218 at Big W.  (The sign was price sign at Big W was
missing, and
> the shop assistant was not too sure.)
>
> I could not resist and bought one (at the $228 since I didn't go to
Big W till
> after), but since the RRP is over $300, I'm not too fussed.
>
> Unfortunately I wont have time to tinker with it for a couple of weeks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rasjid.

- --

__________________________________

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths		Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd	Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 		Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House	e-mail: john at capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600	http://www.capmon.com
Australia		ICQ No: 7933859