[clug] LCA2005 in Canberra?

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Thu Jan 8 09:48:51 GMT 2004

James,

> > Absolutely. We should perhaps wait until we know if is Canberra before

Oh, I know who is getting the next LCA and I pity them. Adelaide will be
remembered as a shining jewel.

> > normal social skills could do a job like that,
> Linux Geeks with social skills?

We do exist, but we are few and far in between. Believe it or not, I'm one
of them and that's why I volunteered to organise all this LCA's social
events; oh it's also really kewl to be spending tens of thousands of
*someone else's* money :-)

> > Which is a good thing.
> Having said that, fleeting interest and hollow offers of support can still
> help convince LinuxAu of our worthiness.
>
> but count me in for some of that hard work stuff too.

Here, I'll give you a quick insider's point of view:

 1. What have I done for this linux.conf.au 2004?

  - organised ALL the social functions
  - organised ALL the catering
  - acted as "meta mini-conf organiser"
  - I'm also acting as on-site organiser at the St Marks uni college

  I also happen to have organised EducationaLinux 2004

 2. What did this involve?

  - getting quotes from lots of places
  - onsite meetings
  - many phone calls
  - haggling over budgets

  I would estimate that I have spent the equivalent of about 5-8 hours work
  EVERY WEEK during the day for the past 52 weeks just organising what I am
  doing.

  So ignoring the fact that I have spent 18 hours this week already and I
  estimate another 18 still to go organising LCA  stuff, at the minimum I've
  spent SIX working weeks on conference matters.

  Next week will be ALL conference work; I seriously doubt I'll have time or
  the energy to actually *see* or *take in* any of the talks.

So, if you're willing to devote about a month spread over a year to
organising this, then feel free to do so but I tell you--this is how much
you will do and that's a minimum. Most of the other"core" organisers have
and there are about 7 of them.

I guarantee you that you'll miss time from your family, have no time to
spend with friends and have to cancel important dates and WORK to get things
done as the conference gets closer.

I don't write this to discourage you, in fact the opposite. I'm approaching
next week with a mixture of trepidation, fear and the hope that all the work
I have done and will continue to do will not be of no avail. My satisfaction
is to know that I've put in a tangible effort to help further one of my most
cherished causes.

DSL

--
"Theoden is a kindly old man. Denethor is another sort, proud
 and subtle, a man of far greater lineage and power, though

For this week and the next, consider me as Denethor; if you
wish the Steward's kindness, then make no haste to insult him,
or the lands under his watch.