[clug] LCA2005 in Canberra?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Jan 7 02:38:22 GMT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Darren Freeman wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 07:23, Michael Still wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, James McNeill wrote:
> > <rant>
> > Putting up your hand and saying you'll help, until it gets boring (not
> > quoting anyone specifically) is _evil_. As someone who has been involved
>
> If I'm included in the target of the rant then please be aware of the
> light-hearted tone of my post.

No no no. I believed I'd made it clear that there wasn't a target at
all... I aimed the rant at no-one, just my generalized cocern about how
poeple in the western world volunteer for things.

> In any event it's too early for anyone to be committing to anything, we
> don't know what we are volunteering to do. But at least saying that
> we're interested means that whoever decides to be the backbone of the
> team will know who to pester later for a commitment.

Absolutely. We should perhaps wait until we know if is Canberra before
even bothering though.

> If I am asked to do job X and I agree then it *will* be done. But if
> people are just talking about who is interested in "helping" then it's
> fair for people to non-commitally put their hands up. Helping could mean
> arranging for catering to be available, it could also mean being a tour
> guide. The effort required vaires, as does the day when most effort is
> required.

For sure. An example of a low effort job is someone in Adelaide is going
to collect me from the airport and take me to / from my hotel. Anyone with
normal social skills could do a job like that, but it still makes Michael
Davies a lot less busy.

> But depending upon when and where, I would like to help.

Which is a good thing.

Rant over.

Mikal

--