[clug] LCA2005 in Canberra?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 6 20:23:26 GMT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, James McNeill wrote:

> How likely is it to be here? Who has organised our bid? when will the
> decision be made?

It was announced on linux-aus at linux.org.au some time ago that a decision
had been made, but that it is not public until the Adelaide conference has
started (which is fair, Adelaide has put a lot of work into a conference,
and whoever gets 2005 shouldn't steal that lime light).

Out of respect to Adelaide, we should go to LCA, have a good time, and
worry about this later. Whoever has won will have around a year to get
_their_ act together.

<rant>
Putting up your hand and saying you'll help, until it gets boring (not
quoting anyone specifically) is _evil_. As someone who has been involved
in organising large complicated events, the absolute worse thing that can
happen is someone accepting a task, and then not doing it. It's much worse
than just merely doing a bad job, because at least with a bad job progress
is made. The take a task and do nothing approach stops anyone else from
having worked on that thing.

When one is delegated a task one should always remember that not doing
that task might destroy the event. We should be sitting there going "am I
serious about doing _this_task_, or am I seeking to actively subvert the
entire event.

I prefer a world where it's hard to find people to delegate to (but they
do the job), to one in which I can throw jobs around in the wind, but none
ever get done.
</rant>

I am sure if LCA 2005 is in Canberra, we'll all be given ample time to
contribute. This is an open, inclusive, community.

See y'all in Adelaide for the announcement.

Mikal

PS: I'll pay you to come to my talk and clap randomly

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"