[clug] cachefs

David Price david.price at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 00:40:15 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:13:58AM +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:
> I said I was interested in cachefs being in linux and he said they might think about it if enough people expressed an interest.  I know there are a few people on the list who would be interested in this so perhaps you might like to discuss.

I was talking to Bob Edwards last night about how the machines in the
DCS labs are currently setup to boot.  They network boot, with stuff
mounted via NFS.  Apparently KDE was running fairly slowly due to it
stating large numbers of files in /usr, or something along those
lines.  His solution was to store /usr on the local hard disk, and
sync it at boot time using a combination of md5sum checks and rsync.
Correct me if I have any of that wrong Bob.  Anyway, presumably
something like cachefs would provide a good alternative to this.

David