[clug] Re: daemon instead?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Feb 26 23:26:27 GMT 2004

On 27 Feb 2004, caloy diaz <caloykoy_one at pacific.net.ph> wrote:
> hi this is caloy again. one labmate of mine (who's already graduated, he's
> really good at programming) suggested that i propose to my adviser that
> instead of the device driver i write a daemon instead. like you, he too
> doesn't see much use of writing the device driver. wriiting a daemon, he
> said, would offer the same capabilities as the device driver would (the
> daemon would also be running and waiting for input text files and commands)
> and in addition to that, networking provisions will be realized (i.e. now
> any PC can control the robot arm).
>
> would you share the same opinion? also would you have any idea as to where i
> could read on these or on how do i program a daemon?

I think that would be an excellent idea.  You could probably be even
more efficient by writing it in Python, rather than C.

Here is a simple example of a Python daemon:

  http://frank.rollebol.com/articles/python/finger.article

You might want some kind of locking to make sure only one person tries
to control the robot at a time.

Another interesting project idea might be to write a CGI or web
application that allows people to control the robot over the web.

Think about what kind of input you want to send to the daemon and what
value it will add compared to just talking to the robot directly.  Is
it meant to remember the position of the arm, or store learned
programs, or prevent concurrent access, or ...

--
Martin