[clug] Re: device driver problem "simplified"

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Feb 26 02:25:11 GMT 2004

On 26 Feb 2004, caloy diaz <caloykoy_one at pacific.net.ph> wrote:
> a good day. this is caloy again, the one inquiring about the device driver.
>
> i seem to have simplified my problem to more "manage-able" chunks, namely i
> should write a device driver that accepts a text file and sends it to the
> serial port. however may i ask your assistance as to how i'd implement these
> steps?

I'm sorry but I don't really understand why you think you need to
write a device driver to do this.  The existing kernel serial driver
will do that perfectly well.

What is the actual purpose of the project?  What is it that you want
to do but can't do with the existing program?

Code should only go into the kernel when there is some reason why it
can't be done in userspace.  I don't understand what the reason is for
your application.

> 1) write a device driver: what is really the "skeleton" of each device
> driver? i'm looking at device driver codes, and somehow i get overwhelmed.
> i'm trying to find all the things in common between them thinking that would
> be the skeleton.

You should look at Robert Love's excellent new book on the kernel:

  http://tech9.net/rml/kernel_book/

Even if that does not answer your questions it might give you more
context to ask them.

--
Martin