[clug]: Problem with desktop!

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Wed Feb 25 08:26:45 GMT 2004

Kumar Jadav wrote:

>Hello Cluggers!
>
>Over the past couple of days, I have been facing some hardware problem
>(actually its my friends computer running Windoze XP Prof), and would
>appreciate it, if anyone can help me out.
>
>Machine: Celeron 850 Mhz, VIA Motherboard with AGP Slot, 128 Megs RAM, 40
>Gig Seagate HDD, the works etc.
>
>Problem: When I start the computer ie cold boot, everything seems to go on

ahah.  The likely problem that you are cold booting.  Try popping your
HDD into the microwave for 5 minutes on medium and then warm boot it.

What?  Why is everyone looking at me like that?

OK... when you say you have the works attached, do you mean 3 CDROM
drives, a burner, a tape backup device and three video cards?  Because
if this is the case you might be stressing your power supply a little hard.

I agree with the Grahame that 128 Mb is too little RAM for XP, but
there's no reason for that to affect the post.  Have a look around for
physical problems (bare leads, HDD sitting on a paperclip, etc)

Try unplugging all other components and see if that boots, etc.  Basic
problem isolation stuff.