[clug]: Problem with desktop!

Kumar Jadav u2519015 at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 25 00:36:05 GMT 2004

Hello Cluggers!

Over the past couple of days, I have been facing some hardware problem
(actually its my friends computer running Windoze XP Prof), and would
appreciate it, if anyone can help me out.

Machine: Celeron 850 Mhz, VIA Motherboard with AGP Slot, 128 Megs RAM, 40
Gig Seagate HDD, the works etc.

Problem: When I start the computer ie cold boot, everything seems to go on
right, it does the POST and the command is transferred to the boot sector,
and the OS is loaded in the memory. However when the drivers are being
loaded, it freezes up! The HDD is making all sort of wierd noises. I
"reset" the computer, by pressing the "reset" button, and after that, at
every POST, it reboots again, before the command is transferred from the
POST to the OS, and it keeps on rebooting, until I switch off the
computer.

My first diagnonis was with the HDD, as it was making funny noises,
therefore I got a new HDD, and when I have installed the new HDD, and
partly installed the OS, the problem still persisted - it keeps on
rebooting over and over again!

I have even changed the data and power cables, but it still keeps on
rebooting.

Thanks everyone!

      --Kumar.
        u2519015 at anu.edu.au