[clug] Video Cards for Linux

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 24 11:58:17 GMT 2004

Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
> John
>
> The na said "out-of-the-box" - not "with additional driver". But I take
> your point and think your perpetuating nVidia's behaviour.
>
> TMC
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:53:26PM +1100, Telek, John wrote:
>
>>Depends on how pedantic you want to be about the driver.
>>I'm Nvidia through and through and could not care less about the closed
>>driver.
>>At least they have one for linux. I'm using an FX5200 and am more than
>>impressed.  :)
>>
>>I also have a PCI tnt2 m64, and it's nice too. (NO I'm not giving it
>>away.  :) )
>>
>> John

The nVidia cards will work with Linux "out-of-the-box" - however, you
will only have 2-D and will not have 3-D support until you install the
driver from nVidia.

The nVidia drivers started to cause problems from version 4363 to those
(like myself) using an Athlon CPU (and therefore running the
athlon-enhanced kernel) and also using cards of the MX400/440 calibre.
However, if using the kernel for the Intel then there do not appear to
be any problems in using the driver(s) to get 3-D capability.

If, on the other hand, you are using an Athlon-endhanced kernel and have
an nVidia FX5200 (and up) card installed then there is NO problem with
the nVidia driver(s). The latest driver is 5336 and it works perfectly
with the FX5200 I recently installed on my system (SUSE v9 Pro).

Cheers.

--
All Scottish food is based on a dare.