[clug] modifying serial.c

caloy diaz caloykoy_one at pacific.net.ph
Tue Feb 24 10:40:31 GMT 2004

a good day sir, thanks for the reply. actually, the device driver is part of
my thesis - i'd have to write a device driver to the arm. while we can
control the robot arm using the C program, my adviser wants that a
modularized device driver be written for the arm such that all one needs to
do is write a text file containing say the command to the arm, to that
device driver, and not worry anymore (or study anymore) how, say, the C
program works, or what the settings of the arm are (ie baud rate parity etc)

it's more of a requirement that i be able to write a modularized driver for
it. i'm really kind of scared because i'm a beginner in Linux. i've heard
that i should just modify the serial.c code because there's a section there
where the code sort of creates this flag where the baud rates parity stop
bits etc can be set by whoever wants to use the serial driver. so i'm
thinking then maybe i should just sort of "fix" those values to those of the
robot arm's. would it be better if i send the c code we use to control the
arm?

sorry guys i'm just really a beginner in linux, so apologies if there are
things i still lack knowledge in :)

thanks very much and God bless.

caloy

>>>From your description there is no good reason for this to be in the
kernel.  Just use a userspace C program as you do at the moment.
Putting it in the kernel will make it far harder to write, modify and
debug.  Why would you want to do that?

--
Martin