[clug] Open source CD to mail to people

Steven William Farlie steven.farlie at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 03:01:57 GMT 2004

> I'm tasked with finding a CD to put on the front of the AUUG magazine
> (which goes to around 450 people). I am however completely out of ideas
> for CDs -- Knoppix has been done to death, and there don't appear to have
> been any new distro releases in a while.

The Open Source Software CD is good (http://pmw.myip.org/oss/). It's full
of windows apps though, so it may not be very well suited to your
audience. Nonetheless I did manage to get my girlfriend out of
MSOffice/Visual Studio and into OpenOffice/Eclipse with it. The CD is a
bit bare (just a README file), but you could put some fancy html files to
navigate through it.

I know it wont get people straight into Linux, but if it gets them out of
pirating MS products then it's still a win for OSS.

> So, the question. If you got a magazine with a CD on it, what would make
> you happy if it was on that CD?

Mandrake 10 thanks. Make it a DVD though.

--
Steven Farlie