[clug] 24" Sun LCD monitor for sale.

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 02:47:22 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 12:38, Michael Still wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Martin Pool wrote:

> I don't have a problem with occassional for sale postings, but John has
> posted 7 messages that I would consider commercial in nature out of 31
> total in the last four months. This year, the ratio is 7 out of 19
> messages.

If you knew John personally you would realise that he has more stuff to
get rid of than the rest of us ;) At least, "get rid of" meaning "sell
at a loss to CLUG members".

> That's a significant percentage, given that I don't recall anyone else
> pushing out that many commercial messages in recent times.

not really commercial when you consider that it's not a commercial
enterprise, just a guy with a house full of stuff he scored cheap
through his profession.

> My concern is that the utility of the list is minimised if poeple think
> that all we talk about is for sale notices. Perhaps we should just have
> some sort of rate limiting policy (no more than two commercial posts per
> person per unit year?).

That's extreme. I personally have made more posts about giving stuff
away than that. And requesting stuff I need. Is requesting stuff
commercial? Or is it helping CLUG members (myself and whoever has a
widget of interest)?

> Mikal

Have fun,
Darren