[clug] Biometrics and Linux

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon Feb 23 03:54:42 GMT 2004

We had a finger-print reader at our old offices, there
was a finger-scanner/keypad connected by what appears to
be a parallel port to a 68k based embedded PC of some
description, and that was networked to an NT server that
kept logs.

>From this description, it seems like the scanner sends a
whole image, and the PC looks for where ridge lines end &
split (i.e. looks for relative positions of intersections):
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fingerprint-scanner5.htm

So unless they provided software that ran on Linux, you'd
have to find or write your own.

Antti