[clug] Problems with Compaq setup

btwyss at netspeed.com.au btwyss at netspeed.com.au
Mon Feb 23 03:23:28 GMT 2004

Quoting Prometheus <prometheus at netspace.net.au>:

INTRO: HI all, let me just start by saying this is my first reply to the list.
I am new to Canberra (2yrs), arrived from overseas and finished my Sys admin
diploma at CIT (under the fine tutorlidge of Daniel) and are now working at
netspeed.

I too had extreme difficulty in finding work and so look forward to meeting
cluggers at a comming meeting over pizza and get to know people.

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem setting up a diagnostics partition on a Compaq AP400.
> I deleted the partition while installing debian, which boots ok, but I
> cannot access the setup software which came with the workstation (i.e.
> By pressing F10 on bootup; much like pressing DEL on a PC to get the
> BIOS software up. The diagnostics partition allows info to be displayed
> similar to BIOS).

I understand your situation as I supported quite a few of these sweet puppies
and have still one at home. What I like is the dual cpu and scsi hdd etc.... I
waffel I stop.

> I tried to re-create the partition using the Setup diskettes
> (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/proworkstation/us/download/722.
> html), but when I try to create a new diagnostics partition the software
> tells me that I must free at least 2 mb of drive space at the beginning
> of the hard drive and also have an available entry in the MBR for the
> partition info.  How do I do this through linux?
>
> ange

What I found is that the diag (f10) part at the beginning needs to be 32 mb and
can only be created as step one and not after you have parted and installed an
OS. I found it simpler that way.

Alternatively you can run the diag software directly off the diskettes but of
course this is as slow as a wet week.

Mail me personally if what I say doesnt add up.

Regards to all,

ben