[clug] Biometrics and Linux

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Feb 22 14:45:37 GMT 2004

On 22 Feb 2004, at 21:45, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> The other thing is, does anyone know how they work? Are the identifying
> features of the fingerprints stored in the reader itself, or does it
> just
> spit out the equivalent of a checksum to the application for
> comparison/verification?

How Stuff Works: http://travel.howstuffworks.com/fingerprint-scanner.htm

They don't mention the infrared scanners that were at one time used at
the ACT Legislative Assembly buildings. The problem with infrared
scanners is that they are typically designed for indoor ("controlled"
environment) use. They're useless for outdoors gates since, as the ACT
MLAs found out, on a cold day (or a hot day) the infrared "signature"
of your thumb changes significantly.

But all fingerprint scanners simply send your application a report of
some features that they find. The features may be different every time
- the device will report on eg 6 of 10 features, and may not
predictably detect the same 6 features each time the finger is
presented.

There are also "palm scanners" which are actually "hand shape
scanners". You place your palm on a metal plate that has pins in it to
guide the placement of your fingers. A raster-imager then measures your
hand and calculates key features such as digit length ratio, and
possibly the width of key digits (and digit count!). As with the
fingerprint scanner, it detects a number of features and reports those
features to your application.

When "training" a system for fingerprint or palmprint scanning, you
would typically take three measurements to maximise your chances of
getting consistent feature reports.

Some finger and palm print scanners are smart enough to check for
things like temperature and even heart beat (is the hand alive, or a
plaster cast?)

I'm not a big fan of biometric identification, since it's impossible to
revoke such ID should it be compromised. It's also impossible to store
your fingerprints securely, since anyone who wants a copy only has to
hand you a (clean) glass of (room temperature) wine. We've all seen
Charlie's Angels, right?

Alex Satrapa

PGP Key ID: 0x9DB45403 - Available from Keyservers
Fingerprint: 8B0E B92F 28A5 5CEC FF21  B760 A86E 868B 9DB4 5403
"You can have my PGP passphrase when you pry it from my cold, dead
brain."
     -- Adam Thornton