[clug] traffic shaping help

Corky corky at pvco.net
Sat Feb 21 06:27:23 GMT 2004

Hi Alex,

Saw a post you did on traffic shaping dec 3rd last year.

I run a tiny wisp (22 customers) providing rural people decent service, and am getting to the point where I need to do something to keep bulk traffic from interfering with interactive traffic.  Could I hire you to provide the HTB to do this?

To keep it simple what I think would be good is to notice when someone has been sucking hard on the system for n seconds/bytes then lower their *priority* but not their max speed.  When they quiet down for n seconds/bytes, their priority would return to normal.

My AP is really an embedded Linux pc running shorewall.  I can't pay much as I am losing money hand over fist, but am thinking this is not much of a job for you either.  I can give you my current HTB file (which is just used to create rate classes so I can sell cheaper grades of service) and you can show me how to change it.

-- Corky
512 276-1976