[clug] Streaming TransACT - Next step

Francis James Whittle fudje at phreaker.net
Wed Feb 18 11:16:50 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 11:03, Duncan Bolt wrote:

> Or possibly stream it from the computer back to the i3 digital TV box.
>
> The third option has a certain cool factor, but I do not want to fiddle
> with reconfiguring the i3 box. Nor do I want to interfere with any of
> the TRANSACT setup.

There are a few problems with this, in particular that yout don't own
the STB.  TransACT does.  I personally believe it would have been nice
if they'd allocated an empty channel on the STB that you could stream
to....

> My problems have been mainly in converting the Videolan generated MPEG
> files.
>
> As I understand it a DVD basically consists of .VOB and .IFO files

DVDs, however, use MPEG2 PS (programme stream), not TS (transport
stream) as is streaming over TransTV.   And that's how videoLAN saves
them.  Which might be the cause of:
> The windows ones I tried did not like the mpeg streams I had recorded,
> complaining about missing headers. So do I need to do something to
> clean up these before hand ?

(I know that getting gstreamer to demux MPEG2TS is a royal pain in the
posterior)

I couldn't tell you about the IFOs having never played with writing DVDs
myself.  There are, however, utilities around for writing DVD Video
discs on linux.

Cheers,
	Francis