[clug] Streaming TransACT - Next step

Duncan Bolt duncan.bolt at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 18 00:03:49 GMT 2004

OK, I have my streaming TV program working, and saving the stream to
disk.

I can play it back on the computer.

But what I want to do is watch it on the big telly while sitting in my
armchair.

So it seems to me there are a few ways.

Plug my laptop into the telly
Record the stream onto a DVD+RW, and play it on the family DVD Player
(A PS2)

Or possibly stream it from the computer back to the i3 digital TV box.

The third option has a certain cool factor, but I do not want to fiddle
with reconfiguring the i3 box. Nor do I want to interfere with any of
the TRANSACT setup.

Since the laptop is a Toshiba Sattelite 1410, it is not one of the
lightest around, so I normally leave it on my desk at work, and only
take it home on weekends.

The second option, convert the stream to a DVD, and record it onto a
DVD RW is my preferred option. I have found that the PS2 will play
DVDRWs, so there is no problem there.

My problems have been mainly in converting the Videolan generated MPEG
files.

As I understand it a DVD basically consists of .VOB and .IFO files

The VOB is the actual movie, and the IFO is the navigation info.

So if I get my mpeg ps file and rename it to .vob I was able to then
use a Windows based DVD player to open it as a file and play it.

Now, do I need the IFO files ?

If so how do I generate them ?

What utilities are there ?

I have tried some of the windows based ones, and have not got any
working yet, are there any linux ones ?

The windows ones I tried did not like the mpeg streams I had recorded,
complaining about missing headers. So do I need to do something to
clean up these before hand ?

Has anyone fiddled with this sort of thing ?

Duncan

Duncan Bolt
IT Officer
Research School of Earth Sciences