[clug] [Q] BinUtils ObjCopy - Does it?

Andrew Over andrew.over at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 17 22:45:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:24:30PM +1100, Donovan J. Edye wrote:

> I am looking to convert some OBJ files (in OMF Format) produced by Borland
> Delphi into OBJ files in COFF format for Visual C++. Does any one know if
> ObjCopy is capable of doing this? All pointers etc. appreciated.

I think your main problem is that libbfd doesn't seem to support either
of those file formats.

A recent multiarch binutils (from debian) claims support for the
following (after stripping out the non-x86 results):

    elf32-i386
    a.out-i386-linux
    efi-app-ia32
    elf32-little
    elf32-big
    elf64-little
    elf64-big
    versados
    ieee
    a.out-zero-big
    srec
    symbolsrec
    tekhex
    binary
    ihex
    trad-core

COFF support on x86 seems dead, or at least not compiled by default (I
suspect it may not be too hard to revive).  As for OMF, I've no clue.

If libbfd did what you wanted, then the options you'd need would be
"--input-target" and "--output-target" (though an architecture
specification will be needed if thats not encoded in the bfdname).

Cheers,
--Andrew