[clug] SuSE 9.0 download

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Feb 15 06:13:50 GMT 2004

On Sunday 15 February 2004 10:05, Brett Worth wrote:
> Is the ftp version supposed to be for personal/non-commercial use only?

The only reference I can find is
http://www.suse.com/us/private/support/licenses/index.html.  In particular,
the Yast license (http://www.suse.com/us/private/support/licenses/yast.html).

| 1. Usage
| YaST and SUSE LINUX may be used for personal and commercial purposes if the
| copyright and licence terms of the installed packages and programmes are
| observed.

So commercial use looks fine to me.

However, point 3 prohibits the distribution of Yast for payment or for a
charge.

| 3. Dissemination
| It is forbidden to reproduce or distribute data carriers which have been
| reproduced without authorisation for payment without the prior written
| consent of SUSE LINUX AG or SUSE LINUX. Distribution of the YaST programme,
| its sources, whether amended or unamended in full or in part thereof, and
| the works derived thereof for a charge require the prior written consent of
| SUSE LINUX AG.

After reading point 3 several times, and searching the SuSE mailling lists on
the topic, I have come to the following conclusions:

a) If there is no money changing hands, you can freely redistribute Yast, and
therefore the 'ftp' version of SuSE.
b) If you make money from SuSE, then SuSE want to too.

In particular, I don't think one can install the free (ftp) version of SuSE
and then charge a consulting fee for the service, since as I read it, that
would be distributing Yast for a charge.  However, IANAL, and I'm not really
sure about this.  I have just emailed SuSE seeking clarification on where
'the line in the sand' really is.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--