[clug] SuSE 9.0 download

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Sat Feb 14 23:05:42 GMT 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> I was considering downloading SuSE 9.0 from the aarnet rsync mirror, for a
> local 'ftp' install.  To do this on 'offpeak' time will take a number of
> days.

Rasjid,

Nice to see you got a copy of this.

I've a question about the SuSE licensing of that ftp tree.  I've used it a
few times and have always wondered where the line is drawn between fair use
of this software and when someone is supposed to buy it. e.g. if someone
installed a 16 node cluster using the ftp suse9.0 would this be in breach?

Is the ftp version supposed to be for personal/non-commercial use only?
I've searched the web site and cant find any info on this at all.

If you go to everythinglinux.com.au the pricing for SuSE is pretty high for
the server version.  Is there some legal reason why someone should buy this?

--
Brett

PGP: 1024R/27EB604F  22A9 A85A 22BD 496B 2443
                     35E5 46F7 0712 27EB 604F